Sunday, May 22, 2011

What is it?

I've had this mysterious object for several years now. I found it in my desk drawer at work shortly after starting my job, so the exact provenance is unknown, altho judging by the packaging design, it's fairly safe to assume it's an Apple product. I've held on to it all this time, Googled the product number to see if anything came up, tried to guesstimate what function it could possibly serve, even asked the techie guys at the computer store what they thought it was, all to no avail. It looks like some sort of retrieval instrument you slide into the CD/DVD slot, but that doesn't concord with the type of design from that era (1997 judging by the date on the back of the envelope). Arrrg - it's driving me crazy! Maybe it's an IKEA swizzle stick called SNÖDK.

Anyone out there have a clue? Anyone...?





5 comments:

slight said...

I belive It's a device to help you calibrate your monitor. Can't quite remember exactly how it worked but you did hold it up to the screen.

Anonymous said...

Clues?

http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/33171/free-lollipop-with-every-studio-display/

Emily Heath said...

according to one of my old art school flatmates, who was well into his Apple Macs, it is a screen colour calibration tool.

i was quite convinced by your disc retrieval theory - sounds like it could be useful still today!

emily said...

I put in the serial number on the envelope you have pictured (into Google) and look what I found!

http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-hardware-and-components/33171/free-lollipop-with-every-studio-display/

cultural flotsam said...

Mystery solved! Thanks to my tech pals who took the time to answer. Seriously - I've wondered about this for years!